Wednesday, April 15, 2009


On the left is a little watercolor & ink painting that I did for the card I sent to my grandson, Noah, for his 9th birthday. I can't believe how the years are just flying by.... yesterday I saw him being born and today he's 9!...on April 15th...Tax day. Now that's a memorable day to be born!

I'm still painting and doing almost no needlework. I tend to work in spurts...first I'll pick up a needle and then put it down in favor of a paintbrush. Lately the brush has been winning. Painting is where I get to gear up my imagination and transfer what my brain conjures up onto paper, canvas, wood or whatever. Needlework is, admittedly, more relaxing...I almost always stitch what someone else designed...maybe with changes in color...but still not quite all mine. I do more of my own design work in quilting/applique. But it's all me, a surface on which to work, and whatever I'm using (brush, pen, pencil, etc.) when I make art....or make a mess. It's kinda scary sometimes. But once in a while I come up with something that I like. The lady on the right is one of those. I like what I did. I'm happy with the color. I think that she's a keeper. And she almost drew herself...which is a new experience for me. I'm usually grunting and groaning and erasing and groaning some more when I draw. This one was different. I didn't even have a problem with giving her a face....that's really new for me. I've been practicing...but faces have always been near impossible. Maybe all that practice is finally paying off. Do you suppose?

1 comment:

Ruthykins said...

practice definately pays off. it's nice when we recognize that.