Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sitting & Stitching & Watching the Economy Tank

It's good to have something to do with my hands (besides biting my fingernails) while everything around me slides deeper into recession. It is just for times like these that I collected my stash in the first place.....what I call my Just-in-Case stuff. It makes things harder to move...even to find, sometimes. But I'm never without something to do...keep those hands busy, I say...I say (yes, I meant to say that twice :). Sewing machine, lots of thread, needles, thimbles, a roomful of storage cabinets for my huge collection of fabric, art supplies, cross-stitch supplies, mosaic tiles & glass, cutters, carvers, grinders, books (to read and to learn from), etc. etc. etc. I am a 'stuff-to- do' collector and my DH (a practical kind of guy) is the 'food-for-hard-times' collector. Buckets of wheat, beans, freeze dried meals etc...I could go on....and on....and on....and.....on.

In a couple or three years....if times is still tuff...and even if times is not so tuff....we can retire and run off to our cabin in the mountains of Washington state...where I can make quilts, stitch, carve, paint, tile anything that doesn't move and enjoy the music of wind in the trees...and DH can split logs, grind wheat, bake bread. shovel snow, and build stuff (he's thinking of stuff like root cellars and geodesic domes). We'll keep a couple or four laying hens...and maybe a goat or two. The dogs will happily flush rabbits and pheasants and act like country dogs act.

It's a great day-dream, isn't it? Kind of like Little-House-on-the-Prairie meets Green Acres. Co-o-o-o-o-o-l !!!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

It does sound cool. Kind of what I'd like if I could retire. :( Only my cabin would be in the Smokey Mountains.

Pike said...

Congrats on your new blog! Can't wait to see some photos of your work - cute furbabies...

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

You're so right about the differences in men and women here. My husband is the same way. We are total opposites. He is the practical, simple, one-task at a time person and I'm a multitasker with the artsy flair and all the emotions that go with it!!! LOL

Jennifer

http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

By the way, I live in the North Ga Mountains so I've proposed a primitive lifestyle to my hubbie when we retire as a joke but actually its looking more and more appealing to me as this economy is depressing.

Jennifer

http:///www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com

Carolyn NC said...

Your blog looks great. And yes, it does sound like a fun time to retire that way.

Tatooinesky said...

Four laying hens will not be enough. During the winter they don't lay that much. And they only lay well for about the first three years of their approximately 5 years of life. I recommend getting four hens initially, then adding two new ones per year after that.

Ruthykins said...

i'd love to be able to stash stuff away like that. i just don't have the space. luckily for us, we don't live beyond our means.

Milly~ said...

Welcome to the blogging world!

Fatema ( SL ) said...

What a lovely blog.
I enjoyed reading it.
Your fur babies are so cute.
Welcome to the blogging land.