Monday, June 22, 2009

A Little Carving



I did a little carving last night while watching TV. I love the look that hand carved stamps give to a piece of work...card, collage, or painting. I especially like the little wispy lines that appear around an image because of not carving deeply enough in spots. These images show the finished stamp and the first proof. I did just a tiny bit (a teeny, tiny bit) of clean-up carving after the first proof.
I recently visited one of my favorite art stores...Dick Blick...and bought several sheets of their 1/4" thick rubber, which carves like butter and is as easy to work with as the way more expensive brand name carving blocks. I usually carve just on one side of the 1/4" stuff. When I do buy the brand name rubber (1/2") I usually use all flat surfaces for carving. Thinking with the cheap side of my brain here.
Bye for now.

2 comments:

Katie said...

They're beautiful. You did a lovely job of carving them.

Ruthykins said...

that's so neat. now i want to carve something.