Monday, May 3, 2010

365 Journal Workshop


I've been so busy with on-line workshops...learning about and doing art...that I haven't made time to write anything in my blog. So here I am again. Hello.
Today's picture is something I did this afternoon for my 365 Journal workshop taught by Pam Carriker. This is actually a technique for month 2 of this workshop. I made a couple of 2-page journal spreads for the 1st month of this course...you can see them on my Flickr site if you want.
The portrait class (Suzi Blu's) is coming along well. After I decided which of my drawings was going to be Elizabeth Tudor...I charged ahead to draw the young King Henry VIII. And before I could scan the drawing I attached him to my wood substrate and went to painting and collaging. Now that made him too big for my scanner....so once I finish the piece I'll have to take a digital photo (I always forget how to use the camera...so I'll need a how-to-use-the-camera lesson...again...it's a good thing that my husband is understanding and patient)....then I can download him (Henry) to the computer and display his royal highness in all his royal glory. There was a time...when still a young man...that Henry was really not bad looking. His fat and sloppy days came on later....after several marriages, lots of trouble with the church, a Pope, France, Spain, a revolt, a war, a plague, a jousting injury that wouldn't heal, and whatever else came down the pike to stress him out as King of England. I've been watching several seasons of the Tudor series that ran on Showtime. Interesting stuff....not unlike a soap opera in that there's plenty of intrigue, murder, adultery, heads rolling off the chopping block...but this soap opera will only last until after Henry has married and gotten rid of six wives and jumped into the sack (randy goat that he was) with more Ladies in Waiting than one can keep track of....yes, there are a lot of female breasts and male buttocks exposed in Showtime's version of The Tudors...but it's a cable channel (a pay cable channel at that)...so that's to be expected...I guess.
Anyway....I've finished watching season 3 and just have season 4 left. The costumes are beautiful. The characters are all gorgeous and have great teeth....and look like they actually bathed every day and didn't stink. The castles look quite comfortable...as if they had central heating and working ACs in Summer. Fleas and bad teeth weren't in the script.
So I've come to the end of this post...and all I have for show-and-tell is one journal page...and a paragraph or two about Tudor World. That's the way it is some days. Maybe I'll be more entertaining next time. And then maybe I won't.

1 comment:

Ruthykins said...

so glad to see you back in the blogosphere. i was beginning to think that you had grown weary of showing off, but i'm glad that isn't the case. i always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your beautiful pictures.