Monday, July 6, 2009

Practice doesn't make Perfect....just makes Better



Well here she is: The Girl with the Giraffe Neck!!! Can you believe that I actually meant for her to have a long neck? I did....yes I did. Why. I'm not drawing to make realistic portraits...I'm going for highly stylized drawings of non-existant females. These are imaginary people...and I'm the artist...so I'll do as I please. And this little lady just cried out for a long neck and a tiny head. Who knows, she might wind up as a character in one of my mixed media paintings. Anyway...I drew her yesterday afternoon. She's #3 in my rogues gallery of faces...and, in her case, necks.
The portrait on the top, I'm quite pleased with. I'll definately use her in another piece. I like her simplicity of line...the way that her hair is just suggested, her gaze (which to me looks a little bit dreamy...like her thoughts are somewhere far away), and the tilt of her head. I worked on her late last night...which tells me that maybe my drawings are better when I don't overthink them.
Well...that's all for now. Tonight, when it's a little cooler outside (remember that I live in Las Vegas) we're taking the fur babies to the dog park. They really love to have that social time with other dogs. Sniff other dogs and each others rear ends...pee on as many trees and clumps of grass as they can...drink lots of water...and pee some more. Communication. Humans leave post-it notes...dogs pee.
That's life.

2 comments:

Ruthykins said...

i like both of these sketches, but especially the top one. she's so serene. so beautiful.

suzi blu said...

I enjoy the simplicity of your lines too. Very calm and serene and meditative. I cant wait to see them in color! xo