Thursday, February 18, 2010

....A Certain Family Resemblance.




If I seem to be working in a series....I am. Not only do these paintings have similar backgrounds and floral collages but they have "a certain family resemblance"...they're, in a way, all sisters. Except for minor changes, they all began as the same pencil drawing. Even if they didn't have that in common...they would have probably resembled one another anyway. I've noticed that the more faces I paint, the more they look alike...especially if I'm working in color. I guess that's because they're all "born" of the same painter's hand. They came out of my imagination rather than being life portraits. This is my interesting-discovery-of-the-day.
I'm been happy with my artist-self lately. The more I paint, the more I've learned about painting and using a wide variety of media. There have been many ah-ha! moments. And I've become a lot more willing to experiment. My fear of "what if" is disappearing. This is all good. Of course, the house is a bit dustier and there are a few more dishes in the sink...but, for now, it's been a good trade-off. I'm so very fortunate to have a loving sweetie of a husband who encourages my art and is willing, not only to overlook dust and dishes, but who also pitches in to help whenever he can. It's no wonder that I love him. Oh....and he bakes some of the most delicious bread that I've ever eaten.
Well....that's all for today. I think that I'll go and put some dishes in the dishwasher. I'll play with my paints later. Bye to y'all.

2 comments:

Ruthykins said...

i like the face these ladies share. you said that it's because they come from your imagination instead of real people. can you do real people? to me, that is the hardest thing to do.

Diane said...

Hi Irene, it's Diane from Sharon's AND Suzie's group--I love your ladies, mostly because they came out of your head--I LOVE that first one!!